Center to Improve Veteran Involvement in Care (CIVIC)
CIVIC’s Mission is to conduct research that empowers Veterans to improve their health through engagement in self-care, engagement with VA and non-VA healthcare systems, and engagement in the research process. CIVIC investigators focus on two integrated areas:
Conducting research that helps Veterans with mental health conditions, including pain, improve their health and safety. This includes research which seeks to:
- Promotes Veterans’ healthy behaviors, self-care, and active participation in mental health care.
- Decreases risks for suicide and other suicide behaviors.
- Decreases risks associated with prescription opioids, and optimize use of effective non-opioid pain treatments.
Conducting research that helps Veterans, their supports, and their clinicians create and sustain effective healthcare relationships. This includes developing and testing:
- Innovative tools and strategies that facilitate Veteran-clinician communication, decision-making, and trust.
- Tools and strategies that facilitate communication, collaboration, and coordination within and among care teams.